I am posting a very easy and basic cake recipe, on request by many friends
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence
1 1/2 cup cake flour(maida or all purpose flour)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup(60ml) milk
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg Celsius
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat vanilla extract to the mixture at the end( use electric beater for best results)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt(best method id to sieve them together 2-3 times so that they are well mixed).
- Alternatively add flour mix and milk in 3 additions to the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with flour mix
- Grease your baking pan with cooking spray( or butter and flour your baking pan) thoroughly and fill the pan with the batter
- Bake for around 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted to the center of the cake comes out clean
- Wait for the cake to cool completely before you take it out of the pan. Cake decoration and icing should be done only after the cake comes to room temperature.
The same recipe can also be used for cupcakes. The cooking time would be 15-20 minutes instead. This recipe makes 25 cupcakes.
Chocolate cake variation - add 3-4 teaspoon of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients and mix well before adding to the wet mix